South West Healthcare acknowledges and pays respect to the past, present and future custodians and Elders of the areas of South Western Victoria in particular the Gunditjmara, Eastern Maar and Wadawurrung people and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational practices of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
We work closely with the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to ensure they are comfortable in hospital and have access to health services beyond their admission.
An Aboriginal Liaison Officer can help you and your family to:
- Provide you with information and support during admission and when you are discharged from hospital
- Liaise with South West Healthcare staff on your behalf
- Answer any general questions about South West Healthcare
- Help you access services and people in your community who can assist you with your health and wellbeing
- Assist you with referrals to services you need after your hospital stay
- Educate South West Healthcare staff to provide them with an understanding of the cultural needs of the community to provide appropriate and safe care
To talk to an Aboriginal Liaison Officer, please call (03) 5563 4000 or visit them at Warrnambool Community Health, Koroit Street Warrnambool. This service is available Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5.00 pm and is a FREE service.
We have a dedicated Aboriginal Family Room located on the Ground Floor at South West Healthcare. Please ask staff at the hospital main reception or the Warrnambool Community Health reception for directions.
Page last updated: 21 December 2023